Category Manager - GeneralDepartment: Merchandising
Reports to: Director Merchandising
Employment Status: Full time
The Catergory Manager role reports to the Director of Merchandising and is responsible for product sourcing, cost negotiating, inventory management, vendor relations, planning product launches, and promotional activities. The Category Manager enthusiastically supports Bulk Barn Foods Limited's vision, values, and goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitors product mix listing to ensure timely acquisition of products, appropriate initial orders, suggest changes in purchasing and provide solutions to minimize the impact of backorders.
- Meets with existing and potential vendors as needed to maintain a current knowledge of new product offerings and promotions, assess category performance and growth relative to competitors/industry, refine current strategies and develop and implement additional strategies to attract and motivate customer purchases, realize maximum profitability, grow market share, and increase customer loyalty.
- Reviews and monitors listing and product changes to ensure accurate and timely processing, protect the integrity of all product related data (supplied from vendor), and ensure all administrative requirements are completed and processed as required.
- Researches the market, completes financial feasibility, supplier selection, selects product, establishes sales projections, negotiating costing, recommends pricing, advertising, merchandising promotions to successfully develop and deliver category line extensions.
- In consultation with immediate manager, responsible to develop and issue updates for plan-o-grams while ensuring that item assortment and presentation remains current reflecting market trends.
- Collaborate with the inventory team to minimize out of stock positions.
- Source new and existing trends by shopping competition to develop and deliver category line extensions.
- Reduce inventory through successful renegotiations of minimum order quantity.
- Identify slow moving items and have a plan to remove and replace.
- Develops strategy to track and monitor performance of products and categories (refining product assortment) including merchandising, buying plans and packaging, pricing, promotions and advertising to ensure continued growth and maximize sales potential.
- Complete various weekly and monthly reports as required.
- Regular monitoring and tracking of vendor performance.
- Collaborate with A/P to rectify pricing discrepancies between PO and Invoice.
- Participates in department meetings to develop strategies, trouble shoot and actively pursue innovative items and merchandising ideas.
Knowledge, competencies, and skills:
- Post secondary education an asset
- Minimum 3 - 5 years related buying experience
- Strong interpersonal skills with an emphasis on teamwork
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent organizational, analytical, negotiation and communication skills (oral & written)
- Takes full accountability and ownership of the area
- Strong problem solving skills, a strong sense of urgency with impeccable attention to detail
- Solid computer skills with an excellent working knowledge of software (i.e. Word, Excel)
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast paced environment
- Self starter
How to Apply
If you meet these requirements and seek a challenging position, please email your cover letter and your resume to the attention of firstname.lastname@example.org. To avoid our junk filter, please put the job title, "Buyer - General" in the subject line.
No telephone calls please.
No agency calls please.
Thank you for your interest.
Only applicants who will be interviewed will be contacted.