Commercial Real Estate Law Clerk
Department: Real Estate & Store Development
Location: Aurora, Ontario
Reports to: Senior Director, Real Estate
Employment Status: Full time
This position is responsible for the review, negotiation, drafting and finalizing of complex retail lease documentation with various landlords and/or solicitors. This includes, without limitation, the preparation and negotiation of various types of lease agreements, tenant acknowledgements, statutory declarations, notices of lease, non-disturbance agreements and amending agreements
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurate and timely review, negotiation, drafting and finalization of complex retail shopping centre and condominium lease agreements up to execution of the Lease.
- Ensure that all due diligence is taken to ensure that the landlord’s and tenant’s obligations and agreements (as amended during the negotiation process) are accurately documented in the various legal documents entered into between the parties.
- Organize and expedite the work flow, initiate and follow-up action as appropriate.
- Review, draft and finalize Tenant Acknowledgements as and when required.
- Draft various correspondence (letters and emails) relating to lease negotiations and other ongoing matters.
- Ensure the complete and accurate filing (hard copy and electronic copy) of all lease and other legal documents.
- Prepare and register Notices of Lease.
- Prepare required documentation ensuring all details are accurately recorded and print ready in advance of presentation to management.
- Review and research lease agreements and other legal correspondence to interpret and summarize comments on the application and provide interpretation of specific provisions.
- Calculate, track, diarize and prepare all documents related to the collection of Tenant Allowance for each location, including the preparation of Statutory Declarations.
- Update all logs for status of Tenant Allowance collection and Lease negotiation.
- Research related topics and provide reports as required.
- Use leasing experience and industry/ Company knowledge attained to make recommendations and flag any potential issues or discrepancies with assigned leasing agreements.
- Use leasing experience and industry/ Company knowledge to draft and finalize assigned lease agreements.
- Ensure all reports, logs and other required tracking documents are accurate, updated regularly and detailed.
- Prepare required documentation ensuring all details are accurately recorded.
- Communications are to be professional, clear, concise, timely, thorough and proactive whenever possible.
- Communicate regularly and proactively with Store development to ensure alignment on all Real Estate projects.
- Act as the liaison between company management and outside landlords and their solicitors/representatives.
- Ensure effective internal communication with all implicated parties.
- Promotes and works to maintain workplace wellness, health and safety, through active compliance with all workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
- Any other duties as required.
Knowledge, Competencies, and Skills:
- A law clerk diploma or degree
- 5+ years’ experience in commercial leasing specializing in retail shopping centre leasing.
- 3-5 years’ experience with retail lease negotiation
- 3-5 years’ work experience with a “hands-on” approach to handle multiple projects and simultaneous deadlines
- Advanced level of business acumen.
- Advanced level of computer skills, including MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written
- Basic knowledge of lease requirements across Canada would be an asset.
How to Apply:
If you meet these requirements and seek a challenging position, please forward your resume, including covering letter, (using the subject line CRELC) to email@example.com or apply at www.bulkbarn.ca.
No telephone calls please. No agency calls please.
Thank you for your interest. Only applicants who will be interviewed will be contacted.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. In accordance with the AODA accommodation is available, if requested.