Supervisor, Payroll, Pension & Benefits
Location: Aurora, Ontario
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: Director, Human Resources
Employment Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
This position is responsible for ensuring all employees pay and benefits, as applicable, are processed accurately, on time and in compliance with the applicable legislation through the effective supervision and training of the Payroll Clerks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise Payroll Clerks towards the Company's standards of performance.
- Ensure daily activities of the team reflect high standards and consistent mentoring and people development to achieve the goals of the team.
- Lead weekly team meetings.
- Supervises the administration of the CDN payroll, the health insurance benefits, Group RRSP and QC pension programs.
- Act as a back to the Payroll Specialist in the administration of the US payroll.
- Provides insight on a variety of payroll, benefits and pension programs, issues, policies and procedures.
- Supports Human Resources (HR) with data, reports, information and analysis as required.
- Guides the team on a variety of payroll items including but not limited to: terminations, overtime, attendance, vacation, benefits, pension, etc.
- Interacts with franchisees and corporate stores on various matters (payroll training, compliance, employee matters, legislative changes, etc.).
- Works with internal and external providers to ensure the payroll system is meeting the needs of the business.
- Creates delegates and maintains reports required by the business and not generated by the system.
- Participate in annual program reviews and renewals for pension, benefits and pay equity.
- Effective email and written communication, advising necessary parties of benefits, pension and payroll activities as required.
- Prepare payroll, benefits and pension communications as required.
- Provide excellent customer service on all payroll, benefits and pension inquiries.
- Audit communications coming from the Payroll Clerks to ensure accuracy and service excellence
- Obtain approval from the Director, HR prior to sending any communications.
- Use solutions oriented approach to manage unforeseen circumstances.
- Day-to-day supervision and resolution of issues within the team.
- Works with Payroll Specialist and Supervisor, Payroll Reporting and Analysis to investigate variances and work toward resolution of payroll reconciliations.
Push For Results
- Manage multiple competing deadlines in a fast past environment ensuring accuracy and quality of work produced by the team.
- Follows up on team assignments to ensure defined timelines are met.
- Maintains department processes and procedures while ensuring accuracy and work output quality.
- Ensure legislative requirements and changes are communicated to the team and the necessary actions are taken to comply and incorporate that change into the department operating policies and procedures.
- Work with Director, HR to communicate legislative changes to other impacted parties within the business.
- Ensure work completed by team is compliant and report discrepancies to the Director, HR.
- Thoroughly reviews own work and teams work to ensure accuracy.
- Reviews the administration of payroll, benefits and pension to ensure compliance, accuracy and reconciliation of reports and report discrepancies to the Director, HR.
- Ensure all documents, reports, and communications generated by the team are accurate, print ready and meet Company Standards, in advance of implementation.
- Partner with Store Operations and co-workers to ensure department deadlines and timelines meet the standards set by the Company.
- Ensure that payroll and benefits operating Policies and Procedures meet government, legislation and report any issues to Director, Human Resources
- Ensure that Company Operating Policies and Procedures are followed and report any issues to Director, Human Resources.
- Ensure employee documentation is managed in compliance with Company Operating Policies and Procedures and the applicable legislation.
- Deal with confidential issues professionally and with discretion.
- Promotes and works to maintain workplace wellness, health and safety, through active compliance with all workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
- Any other duties as required.
< style="margin-bottom: 0px;">Qualifications
- Under graduate degree or Business Diploma
- CMP/PCP designation preferred
- 1-3 years' payroll supervisory experience
- 5 - 8 years' experience working under pressure to meet deadlines in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Solid organizational, interpersonal, time management and problem solving skills
- 5 - 8 years' experience working in payroll
- Active participation and experience in payroll system upgrades and/or conversion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 5 - 8 years' experience processing payroll, and creating and maintaining reports in a manual environment
- Detail-oriented approach with demonstrated analytical proficiency including asking questions and digging for answers
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- 1-3 years' experience with process mapping
- 3- 5 years' experience working with benefits, pension and compensation programs
- 1-3 years' experience working with Ceridian Payflex
- 5 years of related experience in payroll accounting
How To Apply
If you meet these requirements and seek a challenging position, please forward your resume and cover letter by email with subject line "SUPAY" to firstname.lastname@example.org
No telephone calls please. No agency calls please.
We'd like to thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. In accordance with the AODA accommodation is available, if requested.