Department: Legal & Administration
Reports to: Corporate Counsel
Location: Aurora, Ontario
Employment Status: Full time
Provides support to Corporate Counsel and Executive Vice President Administration with respect to matters relating to franchising, store service contracts, corporate filings/annual returns, Personal Property Security Act ("PPSA") registrations and corporate and security searches.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Must communicate effectively on a daily basis in writing to various internal and external parties ensuring confidentiality and accurate transfer of pertinent information.
- Maintains accurate and up to date records concerning franchise expiry dates; lease expiry dates; franchise renewal options; franchise expiry deposits; and dates of franchise transfers/resales, renewals and terminations.
- Prepares franchise disclosure documents and execution copies of franchise agreements and related documents.
- Prepares various logs and lists of franchise information as requested.
- Prepares lease summaries, for review by Corporate Counsel, to be used as part of the preparation of franchise disclosure documents.
- Makes PPSA filings in provinces across Canada, as required, and prepares a reporting memorandum to Executive Vice President Administration and Corporate Counsel summarizing registrations made. Sends copies of verification statements for filings made to franchisee debtors.
- Prepares purchase orders and cheque requests as required.
- Prepares correspondence to franchisees, as required, including correspondence requesting updated financial and other information prior to renewal, default letters, offers to repurchase, relocation letters etc.
- Prepares franchise asset repurchase documents, orders due diligence searches and works with Corporate Counsel on closings of franchise asset repurchase transactions.
- Assists with research on various by-law and other local issues.
- Assists, in the absence of the insurance coordinator, in reporting insurance incidents to insurance broker; follows up with broker and insurance adjusters to provide information to expedite the resolution of claims; maintains insurance incident and claim logs; advises broker of new locations to add and locations to remove from coverage.
- Accountable for all documents and reports forwarded to third parties on behalf of the Company.
- Ensures accuracy of all reports and documents.
- Ensures all documents and reports are audited and error free in advance of submission for review by Corporate Counsel.
- Applies knowledge of leasing and franchising agreements when creating and preparing documentation on behalf of the Company.
- Notifies Corporate Counsel of any discrepancies or concerns on documents being prepared for review.
- Applies knowledge of standard legal documentation formatting when preparing legal documents on behalf of the Company.
- Ensures all documents, reports and communications are print ready and meet Company standards in advance of implementation.
- Ensures all documents and reports are audited and error free in advance of submission to third parties on behalf of the Company.
- Ensures all documents meet internal legal documentation standards.
- Liaises with colleagues and other departments as necessary to attain pertinent information and ensure deadlines are met.
- Assists Co-worker with overflow work as necessary.
- Assists Corporate Counsel in updating all versions of franchise disclosure documents. Word processes changes to master disclosure documents and exercises version control.
- Assists Corporate Counsel in reviewing and making initial standard changes to service contracts.
- Assists Corporate Counsel with annual extra provincial filings across Canada and maintains a log of annual renewals.
- Assists with miscellaneous matters arising within the department.
- Assists Corporate Counsel with research and ad hoc project work as required.
- Assists Corporate Counsel with preparation of closing documents for repurchase of franchise assets, as required.
- Assists with on-line corporate and security searches in all provinces as required.
Promotes and works to maintain workplace wellness, health and safety, through active compliance with all workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
Any other duties as required.
- Minimum 3 years' experience in a law clerk role ideally with exposure to franchising
- Competent in PPSA online registration/ discharge process and other on-line corporate and security searches
- Proficient in MS work, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Solid command of the English Language (written and verbal)
- Professional demeanor with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
How to Apply
If you meet these requirements and seek a challenging position, please forward your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No telephone calls please. No agency calls please.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. In accordance with the AODA accommodation is available, if requested.