Manager, Food Inspection, Safety & Legislative Compliance
Reports To: Director, Merchandising
Location: Aurora, Ontario
This position is responsible for upholding excellent food safety standards throughout the organization. This incumbent ensures effective documentation, provides guidance, recommendations and monitors metrics related to food safety, inspections and legislative compliance.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project and Task Management
- Provide recommendations and expertise in all areas related to Canadian Food Safety and Regulations.
- Partner with National Manager, Store Programs and Training to implement food safety training programs.
- Develop and implement programs and procedures related to food safety.
- Act as the main point of contact with regulatory bodies (i.e. CFIA) on behalf of the Company regarding inspections, food quality concerns and regulatory requirements.
- Review inspection reports and provide improvement recommendations.
- Act as a HACCP leader to develop, maintain and improve HACCP plans.
- Oversee store complaints regarding product quality and conduct root cause analysis, as required.
- Supervise the safe implementation of product recalls.
- Review and update Company recall processes and document any changes to recall plan, as required.
- Conduct annual testing of Company recall plan and report results of testing.
- Apply for and manage licences required under the Safe Foods for Canadians legislation.
- Develop and maintain written preventative control plans (hazard identification and associated control measures), to fulfill licence requirements
- Manage detailed records regarding:
- Product Traceability
- Proof of compliance by our vendors, co-packers and private label partners
- Import Records
- Vendor Quality Assurance Records
- Licence expiration and renewal dates
- Submit and monitor budgets related to QA and Food Safety.
- Provide training and development to Quality Control Coordinator.
- Oversee all aspects of QA testing activities.
- Any other duties as required.
- Formally recognize strong performers within the assigned team.
- Ensure that trends of underperformance are formally addressed, with clear and documented performance improvement plans.
- Provide training and mentoring to direct reports.
- Ensure documentation is managed in compliance with Company Operating Policies and Procedures and all applicable legislation.
- Communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing to internal and external customers/clients.
- Respond to internal customers/clients within 24 hours from time of initial contact.
- Ensure all communication is compliant with the Company mission, values, practices, policies and procedures, collective agreements (as applicable), legislation and operational objectives.
- Provide professional coaching and direction to management and other employees as required.
- Ensure regular updates and completion timelines are effectively communicated to management in advance of established deadlines.
- Ensure relevant and current understanding of government standards, including, but not limited to SFCR, HACCP, SQF and GFSI.
- Apply knowledge of government standards and regulations in order to provide guidance.
- Thoroughly reviews own work and their teams' work to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure accuracy of all reports, databases and correspondence related to quality.
- Ensure all communications are detailed and in compliance with company operating standards.
- Take responsibility and ownership of all assigned tasks.
- Maintain positive relationships with external vendors or agencies and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
- Provide excellent customer service by answering customer inquiries regarding product specifications (i.e. country of origin) on an as needed basis,
- Promotes and works to maintain workplace wellness, health and safety, through active compliance with all workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
Any other duties as required.
- Post-secondary education in Food Science, Microbiology or other related fields
- Advanced knowledge of food safety systems and regulations (i.e. SFCR HACCP, FSEP, SQF, GFSI)
- 5-8 years' working experience in food safety
- 8-10 years of experience working in a fast paced environment.
- 5-8 years' experience in the retail sector
- 1-3 year supervisory or management experience
- 1 - 3 years' experience creating programs and policies
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Navision, an asset
- Excellent organization skills and attention to details
How to Apply
If you meet these requirements and seek a challenging position, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
No telephone calls please. No agency calls please.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. In accordance with the AODA accommodation is available, if requested.