Manager, Software Engineering
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Director, Information Technology
Location: Aurora, Ontario
Employment Status: Full time
The Software Engineering Manager is responsible for creating, defining and maintaining standards for software design and development within the organization. This incumbent employs a coaching management style to the department's Business Systems Analysts (BSA) to obtain effective software design and development. The Software Engineering Manager will also perform hands on software development and the management of contract or Co-op Student development activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project & Task Management
- Oversee IT projects software design and development from inception through to execution.
- Lead the Business Systems Analysts to coordinate the planning, design, scoping, functional analysis, technical analysis, coding, implementation, and support of software engineering using best practices that meet needs of the Company.
- Manages the department's resources planning and allocation for optimal application delivery, availability, and performance.
- Performs required software development to ensure IT department project timelines and work throughput objectives are met.
- Assist the Business Systems Analysts in providing obtainable accurate estimates on software engineering work to be performed in the department.
- Ensures that technical and quality standards are enforced throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Ensure that trends of underperformance are formally addressed, with clear and documented performance improvement plans.
- Formally recognize strong performers within the assigned team.
- Coach, train, develop and lead the team of Business Systems Analysts.
- Lead weekly team meetings.
- Lead the team in the development and execution of departmental goals and action plans that are directly tied into measurable results ensuring timely, consistent execution.
- Ensure department has the bench strength and training support required for team development and departmental goal achievement.
- Inspire, guide, and persuade, but not micromanage direct reports and team players.
- Communicate clearly and regularly to the team to ensure alignment.
- Communicate and report on design and development progress to plan, requirements, quality standards and expected business results.
- Communicate clearly, obtaining understanding of technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and if required department heads.
- Ensure continuous improvement of the communication between the Business Systems Analysts, Business Analysts and Project Managers.
- Create, implement and evolve design and software engineering quality control policies, procedures and practices.
- Create, implement and evolve Development Operations (DEVOPS) procedures, standards and framework.
- Ensure design and software engineering quality standards evolve, are followed and enforced within the organization.
- Continuously monitor application programs deficiencies recommending and managing improvements, fixes, and performance enhancements.
- Monitor and ensure standards of compliance and evaluate Business System Analyst performance.
- Provide limited off hour's application support management.
- Working in partnership with clients to help meet customer satisfaction with application performance and quality.
- Working with Director IT to forecast internal client's long-term needs, including identifying and helping to develop new applications to solve their future business problems.
- Strong understanding of the software engineering technology deployed at Bulk Barn Food Limited.
- Understanding of industry trends in software engineering and development operations.
- Participate in the annual budget planning process and manage the software engineering resources to budget.
- Software Engineering vendor negotiation, sourcing and costing proposals.
- Vendor relationship and invoice management for contract software engineering.
Push For Results
- Define and communicate application development milestones, scope, costs and resource allocation to executive team, department leads, and project support staff.
- Co-ordinate and lead the Business System Analyst team to meet or exceed software engineering milestones with high quality deliverables.
- Ensure ongoing knowledge of latest software's and industry trends.
Promotes and works to maintain workplace wellness, health and safety, through active compliance with all workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
Any other duties as required.
- Undergraduate Software Engineering and/or Computer Science
- 5-8 years' experience as a software engineering manager
- 5 - 10 years' experience developing business applications
- 8 - 10 years' experience working within the IT and business/industry
- 5 - 8 years' experience leading and coaching a team
- 5 - 10 years' experience with application support, problem solving, and performance enhancements
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in software engineering and development operations (DEVOPS) methodology
- 5 - 10 years' experience working for a mid to large sized retailer, in an office environment
- 5 - 10 years' experience developing program code in Microsoft systems
- 5 - 10 years' experience working with Window servers.
- 5 - 10 years' experience working with structured data queries, data base structures and data warehousing techniques
- 5 - 10 years' experience designing, testing and documenting the use of new features and procedures
- 5 - 10 years' experience working under pressure in a deadline driven environment
- 5 - 10 years' experience working with complex technical instructions and using analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience administering/using source control & build/release systems (GIT, Team Foundation Server / Azure Dev Ops Server)
- Experience Scripting PowerShell against a variety of targets, including SharePoint
- Intermediate knowledge of IIS servers
- Familiarity with Exchange email architecture/operations
- SharePoint administration, architecture, & development experience (client & server-based)
- BI: Data Warehouse Architect & Developer; Data Modeling
- SSRS / SSIS / SSAS: Reports Developer, ETL Developer, Analysis Services Cube Developer
- SQL server: advanced TSQL coding skills; DBA experience (performance optimization, indexing)
How to Apply:
If you meet these requirements and seek a challenging position, please forward your cover letter and resume (using the subject line MSE2019) to: email@example.com.
No telephone calls please.
No agency calls please.
Thank you for your interest. Only applicants who will be interviewed will be contacted.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. In accordance with the AODA accommodation is available, if requested.