For the best website experience, please update your browser to its latest version. We recommend using
Gluten Free Cinnamon Buns
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum - leave out if your flour already has it
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt or any dairy free yogurt
- 6 tablespoons butter or dairy replacement butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter or dairy replacement butter (room temp)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mixed nuts and seeds (I used flax, hazelnuts, pumpkin and walnuts)
(walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, chia, hemp and flax seeds)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Honey (for later)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry pastry ingredients.
- Using a cheese grater, grate butter into flour mixture, careful not to let it clump. I like to freeze my butter so it doesn't melt in my hands. Next add yogurt and egg - Do not over mix. Over- mixing will make the buns tough and you will lose the pastry-like-consistently. Dough should be a little sticky. Set aside.
- In medium sized bowl mix up butter, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt. Toast up seed and nut mixture - leave separate.
- Now for the fun part:
- Lay down 2 sheets of beeswax wrap or plastic wrap and sprinkle with GF flour. Scrape dough onto floured wrap, sprinkle with more flour and lay another sheet of wrap on top. This will allow you to use your rolling pin without a sticky mess. Using light pressure, roll into 1 inch thick 9 x 12" rectangle. Remove top wrap and spread on filling mixture - get to the very edge. Sprinkle with toasted seeds and nuts leave 1 tablespoon for later. With the help of your lower layer of wrap roll dough and filling up like sushi. You want this tight. The wrap is your friend, let it do the majority of the work. Chill for 10 mins.
- Grease an 8 x 8 pan with butter and line with parchment. Sprinkle bottom with extra seeds and nuts - drizzle with honey. This will give you crunchy, caramel bottom. YUM.
- Carefully remove wrap from dough and cut into 8 pieces. Squeeze buns in tight in your pan. These babies don't need to look pretty, no need to trim up the ends, use every little piece. They bake up beautifully.
- Bake for 20 mins or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 20 mins and pop out onto a pretty plate. PERFECTION. Drizzle with any icing you so wish. I used a maple icing cause I'm extra. But you do you boo. Enjoy
- Makes 8 buns
Thanks to @itsdrewnow_